I was trying to get a picture of how large the sanctuary is, but my camera only could fit so much.
Karen sat on my left.
These girls were singing with the choir.
This is the pastor. Susan translated his message in our ears. The sound quality wasn't so great so we didn't listen too closely. I know Cameron had a headache and I was getting one because I was really hungry.
This is a baby dedication - we are guessing there were around 14 or 15. They showed pictures of the babies on the screen as they did the dedication. They were so cute.
Then the ladies next to us got up after the dedication was finished and put little reindeer antlers on the babies and gave the families a gift.
Then the young adults and children presented a program. This little boy started off the singing. All by himself - he couldn't have been but 3 or 4. He did so well!
At the very center of this picture -his head is to the left of the guy in the pink sweater is TJ or worship leader. We didn't even know he was going to be in this - Cameron pointed him out.
I didn't listen to the translation of this. They did a reenactment of the death and resurrection of Jesus in sort of a pantomime way. It was really beautiful.
I was trying to get a front view picture of the hanbuk. They are very beautiful - made of silk and embroidery. I thought about getting one sometime before we leave, but they might be around $300-$500.
At one point they had all of us stand up - saying we were the reason they had the English on the screen. They welcomed us by giving us a gift for Christmas - a yearly planner. Its very nice - and it will come in handy. Then they had all of the Filipino ladies go up to the front - they are all married to Koreans - except Ness - 1 in from the left side (who didn't know what was going on). They honored them all with applause and gave them a gift as well - not sure what. It was very special.
We sang Away in a Manger and then they gave the Benediction and we were finished.
We thought it would be a long service, but it ended up being around an hour and 15 min.
It was a blessing for Christmas day.
Some pictures of the sanctuary after the service ended.
Eun Ju and Beth
After the service we gathered together in our normal meeting room for lunch and a gift exchange. It was really nice because we got to try some new food - Korean and Filipino. I brought my sweet potato casserole (turned out better this time - since we have an oven) and I brought salad.
A group gathered in fellowship.
Philip (Korean) organized the gift exchange.
One of the Filipino ladies - I am frustrated with myself that I can't remember their names.
We went around that day and gave our names.
Steffan enjoying the babies.
Marc and Karen sat across from us in the big circle. Cameron and I ended up with their names at the beginning name draw. There were probably 40 or so people there - Koreans and foreigners. We felt bad because we didn't know there would be children in the gift exchange with us. There weren't very many child friendly gifts.
Charles and Matthew
Christine, Susan and Eun Ju
Many of the Koreans have taken English names to make it easier for us. But some have chosen to use their Korean name - which is hard, but it is good practice for us.
Charles started of the game with ladies underwear - not sure who brought those.
First we all wrote our name and put in in the bag. Then we gave our gift to the person whose name we chose. Then the second round - the chose 4 random people to do rock, paper, scissors ( a very popular game here) to get the next part going. This decided who was going to roll the di first. The di had: lost it, keep it, change it - each person in the circle had to roll it - making it very interesting and fun. Cameron and I both got change it.
This large pink pillow was really popular. The Filipino ladies all stole it from each other. Then one of the Korean girls took and it and that was that.
Charles did not end up with the women's underwear. I'm not sure what ended up with. Philip put Matthew in one of the boxes they brought to put all the gifts in - Charles got him and then Matthew kept going back to get in the box. I kept missing it. It would have been a cute picture.
Here we are with our final gifts. I got a really nice Korean style tea mug set and Cameron ended up taking back the travel chess set that we brought. I brought a Van Gogh print. The bookstore we like to go to in Gwangju has a bunch of different prints for about $10. I think one of the Korean boys ended up taking it. I'm glad I didn't try and take it back - I might have ended up with something strange. There were some very interesting gifts like toothbrushes and dishtowels. I think the church brought them to make it interesting. The hottest gift was the 10,000 won ($10) gift certificate to Starbucks - Beth brought it. I was amazed that ended up with the mugs since we chose so early in the game. It was really fun.
Me and Beth
Karen and me
Isn't she cute? Animal hats are huge here and sooo cute. She is also wearing the masks they wear when they are sick - I think she is wearing it since it is cold outside.
A bunch of us - my new friend Angie is standing next to Karen.
Never trust Cameron with my camera - LOL :o) He is always trying to get goofy pictures of me.
Christine and me.
Back in Naju - they put up lights in front of the South Gate.
Notice instead of a star they put a cross on top.
Our tree with all of the ornaments on it.
I made peanut butter blossoms to give away as gifts.
I noticed them sitting on the table in the shape of the cross - we didn't do it - it just ended up this way. Little reminders everywhere of the real meaning of Christmas.
Part of the banana bread I made.
The tea mugs that I got.
The chess game Cameron ended up with.
All in all it was a very good day. We were pooped at the end of the day, but it was very fun and a blessing for our first Christmas away from the states.
No comments:
Post a Comment